Saturday, August 23, 2014

Arrived in Manila

This has been quite the week for Bradyn.  He began his travel to the Philippines very early Thursday morning with some time in between for him to be able to call us from the Portland airport.  What a cherished moment that was for our family!  Dan, Kyra and I were all able to talk to him.  It was fun to combine all of our individual conversations and feel as though we had more time with him.  He spoke of everything he could think of in the short precious minutes we had.  How grateful we were to hear that same sweet voice, but with greater confidence, purpose and eagerness to continue on his journey.

We learned from Bradyn that they were initially going to the Manila MTC and staying for a few days.  Then they would be transported to their respective missions.  Last October, I had the opportunity to meet a missionary couple from Springville currently serving in the Manila MTC (she as a nurse).  She was so thoughtful to send me a couple of quick reports of the missionaries upon their arrival and the following day.  She and her husband stayed up late to welcome them.  She even sent photos!  These are her notes below, along with Bradyn's, the next day letting us know of his safe arrival.

I had asked her to also look out for Nicholas Scoffield....

"Your son and Elder Scoffield are here.  Elder Scoffield came on the first plane that arrived at 1130pm to the MTC, and was asleep  by the time I am writing this.  I will get a picture tomorrow.  
Elder English arrived at 1215 am and we just took them to their room to get to sleep.  They are tired but so excited.  They will go out proselyting on splits tomorrow afternoon.  
We'll take good care of them!  They look great!" -Sis. Eves

"Here are two great missionaries who were sent out proselyting this afternoon.  They will be great and are doing well." -Sis. Eves

Elders Scoffield and English
(Manila MTC)

Hey Mom!
     They just wanted us to email you really quick to let you know that we arrived safely.  We are in the Manila MTC now and things are moving really fast.  After lunch today we are going to go on splits with native missionaries in downtown Manila.  They gave us one extra hour of sleep to accommodate for 14 hours of jet lag, so we are all really out of it.  I already met with Sister Eves and she took a picture of me.  They have our schedule packed here so I need to go soon.  They said we are the first group of a pilot program called the "post-graduate program".  Apparently, we should know Tagalog now, so we are doing some pretty intense stuff.  They also said we are here mainly to get everything in order for our work visas and switching our passports over.  I guess in the past, missionaries had to leave their area and fly back to Manila to finish up their paperwork.  We won't have to do that.  Anyway, everything is going great and they cooked a special American breakfast for us.  Egg and sausage sandwiches.  (He mentioned in our phone call that he was looking forward to eating a Filipino breakfast his first morning there.)  So I actually haven't eaten any Filipino food yet.  Talk to you soon!  Ingat! - take care

1 comment:

  1. I am glad to know that you arrived safely> Take care , you will be fine Love Grandma